Thursday, February 24, 2011

A new chicken dinner

Last night I came up with a new way to use chicken that turned out quite well, I think. I had gotten boneless, skinless chicken thighs, pineapple and zucchini, but didn't really want to make a teriyaki dish again. Instead, I made some quinoa using a new method, which also turned out well, and a stir-fry/saute type of dish that I made up as I went along. I put quinoa and water (no special ratio) in a pot, brought it to a boil until it was transparent, probably about 10 minutes, drained it and let it sit in the warm pot, covered, until I was ready to serve. I cut up the zucchini, pineapple and chicken into bite-sized pieces, then heated up a large pan over high heat with some olive oil. I then added the chicken with some salt and pepper, stirring and cooking until I couldn't see any more pink, then added the pineapple. A couple minutes later I tossed in the zucchini, let it cook for a bit and decided to add some extra flavor. I thought a splash of tamari, a little mirin, and a drizzle of honey would be good. It was, but it needed something else, so I added some powdered ginger and cinnamon. I let it cook for a while to boil off as much water out of the sauce as I could without overcooking the chicken or zucchini. When I thought it good, I served it over the quinoa! Quite easy, tasty and definitely healthy! It's a keeper for sure. And the leftovers were great for lunch, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment